For stays of a day, a week, a month or a year, serviced apartments (also known in the sector as Aparthotels, corporate housing or extended stay housing) offer a spacious, flexible and cost effective alternative to restrictive hotel rooms, with an average saving of 15 - 30% on an equivalent standard hotel.    more

HOME > NEWSROOM > BLOG > GENERAL > THE BUTTERFLY HOSPICE TRUST

Apartment Search

 

The Apartment
Service Blog

March 1, 2011

The Butterfly Hospice Trust by Kim Ashmore

During the 30th anniversary year; The Apartment Service has asked its employees to nominate their preferred charity so we can all raise funds and awareness as a group, I suggested Butterfly Hospice Trust

 

Ten years ago a group of concerned people got together in Boston's magnificent church - the Stump as they were concerned that there was nowhere local for terminally ill patients to receive the care and dignity they so needed at the end of their lives. The Butterfly Hospice Trust came into being on that day with the aim of building an in-patient hospice for the people of south east Lincolnshire.

 

 

This rural area does not have the benefit of a good road or rail network and for many of the villages there is only one bus a day to take them to the nearest town so if family and friends are to visit their loved ones it is essential that there is a local facility within the area. Ten years on and the local community has raised over £1m, 4 acres of land were purchased in 2005 and the building itself is now near completion.

 

 

The Butterfly Hospice Trust is now focussing on raising funds to complete the fitting, furnishing and equipping of the hospice and to complete the landscaping in order to achieve the aim of having a local in-patient hospice open to patients and their families in late summer 2011. The work of raising funds does not stop there as they then need help to run the hospice. In 2009 NHS Lincolnshire identified that the county was short of 23 hospice beds including six in Boston and they are hopeful of receiving approximately 30% of the hospice funding from the local GP cluster who are taking over control of the palliative care budget from NHS Lincolnshire, however they still need to raise the remaining 70% of funds needed.

 

 

Fundraising remains active and the trust continues to receive support from the local community, but they still need all the help and support they can get to make this dream a reality for the terminally ill and their families in this area.

 


Month List